Now You are the owner of a brand new Calypso CUPS 4.0 Anemometer and want to start using it. Here we show you how to proceed. It takes no longer than five minutes.
Once you recieve the device please open the package that contains the following:
- Wind Vane.
- Wind Cups.
- Anemometer Arm.
- Rail Mount (sold apart).
- Mast Mount (sold apart).
- Hardware Kit (Hex Nuts, Allen Screws and an Allen wrench)
Assemble the Anemometer
Attach the Vane and the Cups
- Take the body, cups and vane out of the box.
- Look for a tiny black allen wrench to assembly the three parts (inside the plastic bag).
- Both cups and vane do have a small allen screw to fix its position on the body (see figures 1 and 2).
- Slide the wind vane onto the wind vane shaft. Vane position is unique, there is no way you install it wrong.
- Tighten the set screw in the wind vane with the allen wrench.
- Now proceed with the cups. Push them up onto the wind cups´shaft as far as possible.Cups position is irrelevant.
- Use the allen wrench provided to tighten the set screw on the side of the wind cups (figure 2).
- Once the three items are attached, ensure they are enough tightened so neither the wind cups nor the wind vane can be released from their attaching shafts.
There is no need to calibrate. POKA-YOKE tool implemented during the designing process.
Get your Calypso CUPS 4.0 Started
Connect your device
- Make sure your device is compatible. CUPS 4.0 works with Android 4.3 or 4.4 or iOS devices (*).
- Download and install Anemotracker on your device.
- Make sure your device´s bluetooth is switched on
- Once the app is installed start it and open the menu by a long press on the menu icon - the three vertical dots at the right lower end- (figure 3).
- Press "Search Sensor" on the Anemotracker app and all CUPS 4.0 within the range should show up identified by a unique number. Select your device and connect (figure 4). If no CUPS 4.0 ID number is showed up, please read "connection issues" below.
- Now that you are connected you can choose among various screens. You have to open the menu to select whichever screen you want. For further information go to the Anemotracker app tutorial for Android or Ios
(*) Current beta iOS version might give you some trouble depending on the iOS device you try to connect. We have connected to all versions, but we have detected some connectivity problems. These problems have been addressed in the iOS app release.
Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE), also known as Bluetooth Low Energy and Bluetooth Smart first appeared in smartphones in 2011. It is required for the Handoff feature of iOS 8 and Yosemite. The following iPhones and iPads use Bluetooth 4.0 or beyond: iPhone 4s, 5, 5s, 5c, 6, 6Plus, 6s and beyond. iPad: 3rd generation, 4th generation, mini, mini 2, mini 3, Air, Air 2 and beyond.
You are trying to connect Anemotracker to your device but you have no response? Please read carefully the next instructions.
- Make sure BT (Bluetooth) mode is running on your Smartphone, Tablet or PC. If not, connection between both devices is not possible, so the words "scan again" will appear on your device´s screen after a few seconds since you have selected that option in the menu..
- You can also have connection issues if CUPS 4.0 is hibernating. Make sure CUPS 4.0 is not on hibernate mode by rotating both Cups and Vane. The device hibernates after a few minutes without movement for both energy saving and transportation purposes (i.e. no Bluetooth emitting on air transportation).
- If the device has not been exposed to any source of light for an extended period of time it might be necessary to keep it under direct sunlight for a few hours. A cloudy day will work too.
- When a CUPS 4.0 is linked to a device no other device can access to that particular unit. As soon as the smartphone gets disconnected, CUPS 4.0 is ready to connect to any other device with the anemotracker app installed. Please ensure that no other device is connected to your Calypso CUPS 4.0.
If the problem persists please do not hesitate to contact us.
Assemble the Mast and the Rail mount
Calypso also provides two different supports for easy installation (sold separately). As the device should be placed in a position that provides the CUPS 4.0 a perfect air flow and solar irradiation, customers´ needs depends on the type of boat and the availability of free space. Before purchasing the Calypso CUPS 4.0 support, make sure your choice fits your needs.
Installing the Side/Front Mount
This is the best choice if you can attach the Calypso CUPS 4.0 directly to the mast. Placing the device on the top of the mast is always recommended. Notice this part can be installed directly pointing to the bow or sideways, attached at 90º to the mast. In the last scenario, the anemometer should be placed rotated 90º so it points to the bow.
- Take the mount with the base facing up as shown in figure 5.
- Use a marker to paint through the holes of the mount on the mast´s surface to get references for drilling. Remember the arm must aim at the bow in order to show proper information.
- Once the holes are drilled attach the mount to the mast by using the 5mm rivets. As in any other attachment to an aluminum mast, we recommend use the right rivets (i.e. monel) and pasivation paste (i.e. Duralac) to minimize galvanic corrosion between the rivets and the mast. If you are attaching it to a pole and you have access to the interior/other side, you can use stainless steel M5 bolts and nuts
- Next you have to take de anemometer and put it´s base on the support. The four holes must match one to each other. Use the allen screws and the hex nuts provided to attach both items. Once again ensure that the screws are fully tightened.
Installing the Rail Mount
Seek a rail on the boat which provides the adequate conditions to install the Calypso CUPS 4.0. Make sure the solar cell receives solar irradiation and the air flows through the wind cups without any hurdle.
The rail mount is composed of two halves.
Take both halves and embrace the rail (fits 25 mm/ 1” ). Slotted half facing up. (figure 6). Use one hand to hold them and the other to put the hex bolts provided inside the holes of the upper half.
- Then using the palm of your hand as a lid turn the mount over letting the half with the central empty holes facing up.
- Take the four long allen screws provided and insert them on each hole. Use an allen wrench (not provided) to tighten them. Make sure the rail mount is horizontal before tightening the screws. If not loosen the screws up and correct the mount´s position. Then tighten them again ensuring the mount does not move.
- All around the mount surface there is a slot made to allow a 360º base rotation. The mount comes with four square nuts inside this slot. You can replace them if necessary by using the rounded gap made for that task (figure 7). Nuts will not rotate inside the slot, but will travel along it to allow 360º rotation.
- Put the CUPS 4.0 arm´s base on the mount in a way that all the four base holes match the slot and move the square nuts, one by one, to place them below these holes. Use the screws provided and an allen wrench (not provided) to attach the base to the mount. Tight them slightly first until the arm aims the bow.
- Once the arm is in the correct position tighten the screws one by one ensuring they are screwed in fully and very tight.
Installing the Vertical Rail Mount
You can also combine the Side Mount with the Front Mount for maximum flexibility. Regarding the Side/Front mount installation it is a mix of both the Front and the Side instructions.
Follow the Rail Mount instructions to attach it to whichever rail choosen and the next steps to attach the Front mount to that.
- Take the Mast Mount and match the holes in its vertical side with the rail mount slot. (see figure 8).
- Use the allen screws and the square bolts provided to attach both items using the slot. Remember that the Side mount allows a 360º rotation also with the Front mount installed so you can always place the device correctly.
- Use the 4xM5 allen stainless steel screws and nuts provided with CUPS 4.0 to attach it to the upper flat side of the mast mount.